Saturday, October 10, 2015

A Hail Mary

 
I had spent almost 60 days in custody when my lawyer pulled off a minor miracle.  We’re talking a 99-yard Hail Mary pass as time expires, a 40-foot buzzer-beating 3-pointer, a walk-off Grand Slam.  You get the picture.  After being told I had little to no chance, I was granted bond while awaiting trial.  I would get to go home for a little bit.  Try to mend some of the wounds I had caused.  See my family.  Talk to a therapist.  Strengthen myself physically and mentally for the difficult road ahead.
People had told me it would happen, but it surprised me when I got this weird feeling of actually missing jail.  Human beings are amazingly adaptable and take comfort in the “known”.  I had come to know what to expect each and every day in jail.  I was now faced with the unknown.  How would my family treat me?  Who would be mad?  Sad?  Who would abandon me?  Who would and could still love me?  I now understand those guys I met in jail who spoke of life being easier for them on the inside than out in the real world.  I made a vow to myself to never let that happen.  It will be just another hill to climb and I will face it when I come to it.  Reclaiming my life will be a long battle, one I am only just beginning.  I think many years from now, when I look back, it will have all started with the Hail Mary!


No comments:

Post a Comment