Sunday, December 13, 2015

Prison Playlist


It’s nearly impossible to get any alone time in a federal prison.  One of the few ways to semi-escape is to pop in your earbuds and head outside to the track.  I have a cheapie mp3 player (aka a “prison pod”) for those times I just want to have a little peace.  There’s no jail version of Spotify, of course, so to add a song to your pod costs $1.55.  Not a bad markup from iTunes, you might say, until you learn that my prison job pays 30-cents an hour (comparison:  if you made a nice hourly wage of $20/hour on the outside, that would equate to paying $103 per song).  So, to build a playlist, you pick your songs very carefully.   These are not my favorite songs, necessarily, but I’ve downloaded each one for a specific reason.  I can walk or jog and drift away to happier times, events and places in my life.  These songs tell a story to me and about me.  In play order, they are:

Alive & Kicking by Simple Minds:  If only life were a John Hughes film!  Simply put, I’m still alive and kicking, in spite of everything.

Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash:  A classic prison song from the Man in Black.  No, I did not “shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die,” but the song does a good job describing what it feels like to be behind bars.

Born this Way by Lady GaGa:  I could never remember this song or artist and always had to ask my kids, “What’s that Lady Goo Goo song I like?”  They would always roll their eyes and tell me for the umpteenth time.  I love hearing them sing it.

Black by Pearl Jam:  Favorite rock band, favorite song.  One of the few “good songs” I caught my kids humming along with, even thought it was Dad’s music.

Everlong (acoustic version) by Foo Fighters:  Our family’s best song on Rock Band!  We all wanted to be Dave Grohl on drums.  They never let me sing!

Dog Days are Over by Florence and the Machine:  Driving to visit the in-laws one Thanksgiving, this was our favorite song.  Hearing the cute voices in the backseat singing along to it, instead of High School Musical for the millionth time was something we could truly give thanks for.

Redemption Song by Bob Marley:  Takes me right back to my first year in college, taping my Marley poster to the wall and settling into my dorm room.  I love the line, “emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.”  Too many guys here are prisoners of their own minds more than of the fences and razor wire.  This song reminds me that each day your thoughts and actions need to be focused on building the person you want to be in the future.  If you dwell on the past, fretting over how you were mistreated and hating those that wronged you, then you will remain locked up even when you’re outside the fence.

Into the Mystic (live version) by Van Morrison:  Van at his best.  He’s overcome a severe social anxiety disorder that threatened his live career.  At one point even tried performing with his back to the crowd.  Being in prison definitely helps you appreciate a person overcoming obstacles and coming out on top.

Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet:  Caught him at a small club in Atlanta about 20 years ago.  This song has stood the test of time.  Still as good now as it was then.

All Along the Watchtower by Dave Matthews Band:   To those of us around at the beginning, DMB will always be OUR band.  I can’t even count the number of times I’ve seen them perform, from a little local band playing frat parties to the biggest live act in the world, we early adopters like to think we played a part in their success.  While I can sing along to all their original songs from the first two CD’s, I chose Watchtower for this playlist.  There was nothing like watching Dave and the boys give it their all in the early days.  Seemingly totally spent from a high energy show, when you thought they couldn’t do anymore, they’d come back on for an encore and finish up with a blistering 8, 9, or 10 minute jam on this Dylan classic.

Bridge over Troubled Water by Aretha Franklin:  I’ve definitely been bounced around by some troubled waters!  This is a beautiful rendition of a timeless song.

Pink Cadillac by Bruce Springsteen:  I’ve known my wife for 27 years.  In that time I’ve heard her hum along or tap her fingers to a tune, maybe even sing a few bars.  I will never forget riding in the car one day about 5-6 years into our relationship, when this song came on the radio.  She jacked up the volume and let fly.  I was stunned into silence.  It was full on karaoke in the car! It is still the only song I’ve ever heard her sing from beginning to end, and I laugh for joy every time I hear it.

Only God Knows Why by Kid Rock:  Yes, I will admit to being a Kid Rock fan.  This song can lift my spirits.  You may have been knocked down and dragged through the mud, but as the Kid says, “I think I’ll keep on walking with my head held high; I’ll keep moving and only God knows why.”

Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley:  This song should be required listening for every American Idol wannabee.  You DO NOT need to yell, scream, or wail to emotionally connect with your audience.  If you need a good cry, this song will do it for you.  Leonard Cohen may have written and performed it, but for my money, Jeff Buckley owns it, may he rest in peace.

Brother by Need to Breathe with Gavin Degraw.  Just listen to this song.  The sentiments expressed are exactly how my brother (and sister) have treated me during my whole ordeal.  There is no way I can ever thank them for their unconditional love and support (and if you read this, just know that I love you!).

Can’t Find My Way Home by Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood.  I saw a guy all alone by the lightpost strumming a guitar.  I was jogging laps but cut across the field to hear what he was playing.  It was a slightly modified version of this song.  I stopped to listen and can’t forget the pain in his voice as he sang, “Come down off your throne and leave your body alone, something’s about to change.  You are the reason I’ve made it all these years, somebody holds a key.  Well I’m near the end and I just hope you’ve got the time.  Oh, I’ve waited but I can’t find my way home.”  Apparently, the guitarist has been down 20 years and doesn’t know what to expect at home, except the wife who has waited for him.

Warm Love by Van Morrison:  My then GF (now wife) is over and we’re studying for exams.  I take a break to put on this song and we dance.  This feeling comes over me and for the first time I tell her, “I love you.”  Her response?  “Thank you!”  Not exactly what I’d hoped to hear – and I’ve never let her live that one down!

You Don’t Mess Around with Jim by Jim Croce:  Always my favorite song to sing and act out around the house, pantomiming the action.  Always made the kids giggle.

Train in Vain by the Clash:  Commuting in a smallish city, you’re seldom in the car very long.  Our family developed a habit of listening to the same songs over and over.  We may have listened to this classic 6-7 times a week on the way to various practices.  Getting the kids to to not only like, but sing along, was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment