Monday, July 31, 2017

The Art of Bantering with Guards


These are actual conversations with guards over the past few days: 

As I'm leaving the Chow Hall with an empty water bottle:

Guard – What’s in your hand?
Me – A water bottle?
Guard – Why?
Me – It doesn’t fit in my pocket.
Guard – Why do you have it?
Me – I am heading to Rec and am aware of the dangers of dehydration.
Guard – Do you know it’s against the rules to bring it into Chow Hall because guys fill them up and steal.
Me – Yes, but it’s empty (holding it up) and I was leaving.  And I wasn’t trying to hide it.
Guard – I could take it.
Me – Yes you could.
Guard – (Staring at me.)  Well?
Me – (Handing him the bottle.)  Okay.
Guard – Keep it.  Just letting you know I could take it.
Me – Duly noted.
Guard – What?
Me – I am aware.
Guard – Of what?
Me – Your ability to take the water bottle.
Guard – Oh, okay, good.
Me – Is that all?
Guard – Yes.

Lesson here:  Be polite and concrete.  Answer exactly what you are asked and no more.  And don’t argue.  If you do that, they have no idea what to do.

Walking down steps after being called to my job as Baseball Commissioner:

Guard – (Standing at bottom of steps)  Why you coming down them steps?
Me – It’s safer than jumping.
Guard – Where are you going?
Me – After I get to the bottom?
Guard – Yes.
Me – Recreation.
Guard – Why?
Me – I was paged on the intercom.
Guard – Why?
Me – I guess because Officer ____ wants to speak with me.
Guard – Why he need you?
Me – I don’t know, most likely about softball.
Guard – Does he need you now?
Me – Well, he called me now.
Guard – Name?
Me – (I tell him my name.)
Guard -  (Now calls on the radio to Recreation to check this out.)  You better get going, he called you five minutes ago, he wants to know where you been?
Me – Talking to you.
Guard – Umm, okay.  Go.

After translating a question that an Hispanic prisoner wants to ask a guard:

Guard – Are you Puerto Rican?
Me – No.
Guard – Are you from Puerto Rico?
Me – No.
Guard – Where are you from?
Me – (I state the state I’m from.)
Guard – When did you come to the United States?
Me – (I tell him my birth year.)
Guard – Is that when you learned American?
Me – Yeah, but I already knew English, so it was easy.
Guard – Then why do you speak Spanish, or was that Mexican?
Me – Both, and because I like it.
Guard – Damn, I’ll never figure you people out.

To me all this feels like an old episode of Candid Camera or Punk’d but unfortunately these are typical exchanges in here.  Main rules:  I am never rude, never cuss, answer all questions, nothing more and nothing less.  I also choose my words wisely.  It would not do to banter with some guards at all.  Most important thing:  Keep a straight face, something I’m getting good at – in English, American, Spanish or Mexican!

1 comment:

  1. You know the best part about those three conversations. The guards believed you treated them with respect even though we both know you were really being a smart ass. They know you are a smart guy and I am sure they appreciate the fact that you are polite. Hang in there and keep up the positive attitude with the guards, It is not only good for you it is good for them as well.

    ReplyDelete