Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Unique Sobriquets

So I have a new job in the typing room at the library, and that is definitely better than the old gig in the video room.  The video room was basically an unventilated closet -- no conversation, no mental stimulation, and a location directly across the hall from a doorless bathroom.  Three straight hours a day of listening to the melodic sounds of men on toilets, well I can't say I'll miss it.  Anyway, the real point of my post today is the wild names people have in here, which I find endlessly entertaining.  In the past two days, I've chatted with the following people:  G-Money (see earlier post about how this mild-mannered Jewish guy got that name), Road Rage, Cheese Puffs, Tin Man, Big Cheese, B-Rad-Bono (the artist formerly known as Half-Baked), Pookie, Puma, Ant, Two-Soups, Cockroach, Twin, Strongface, Christian Gangsta, and D-Lo.  Occasionally, of course, there are problems, such as when a guy wants to fill out a form in the library and you have to ask for his "real name."  Then you have to explain why the name "I always use!" does not count.  Weird, too, when you hear a name called over the Intercom and have no idea who that is, because everybody is only known by their prison nickname.  Nothing profound coming to mind about this, nothing introspective or deep in the slightest.  Just a shrug and a chuckle.  Many of us never dreamed we'd be spending our days with fellas bearing such unique sobriquets.  Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to teach Cheese Puffs and G-Money how to crochet!

1 comment:

  1. Why did I think you were moved to the green team cutting grass? Are you still in the library? You aren't the only one with serious nick names. Navy pilots also go by their "call sign".

    ReplyDelete